National Priorities: Evaluation of Pollutants in Biosolids Request for Applications and Informational Webinar
October 27, 2020
Background: EPA is announcing a new funding opportunity to identify, characterize and manage risks of known and emerging chemical pollutants found in biosolids. With this Request for Applications, EPA is seeking research to determine the concentration of chemicals in biosolids as well as an increased ability to understand and identify potential public health and ecosystem risks from land application and disposal of biosolids. There are two distinct areas of research covered by this solicitation:
- Research on the impact of different common treatment and management processes on resulting pollutant levels in Class A & B biosolids at wastewater plant treatment trains from the point of sewage sludge throughout the biosolids management practices. This includes research on fate, transformation, and mobility of pollutants and includes development of analytical methods for identifying pollutants.
- Research on the occurrence, fate, and transport of chemical pollutants in land-applied biosolids including interaction with surface/subsurface constituents, co-pollutants, different soil types, and crops. This area also requests research on tests or procedures that can be used as screening tools prior to land application.
Expected outputs include information for utilities on products from a given process or treatment train, new management strategies for land-applied biosolids and associated costs, cost-effective methods and models, and communication materials and tools that translate scientific results into easily understandable outreach and education materials for wastewater professionals and the public.
Applications should include the following research topics of interest: Known and emerging chemical pollutants found in biosolids along with standards, methods, and policies to determine acceptable pollutant concentrations in biosolids management.
Learn more about EPA Research Grants.
Informational Webinar for Applicants
Date: October 27, 2020
Time: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET
Join us for an informational webinar on the National Priorities: Evaluation of Pollutants in Biosolids RFA. The webinar will cover application information and provide an overview of what has already been provided in the
- Share general information on research areas for the EPA National Priorities: Evaluation of Pollutants in Biosolids RFA
- Learn about the administrative, submission, eligibility and peer review processes
- Question & answer session
A copy of the webinar presentation will be available at https://www.epa.gov/research-grants/national-priorities-evaluation-pollutants-biosolids for those unable to participate in the scheduled webinar.
For information on eligibility, project specifications or how to apply, go to https://www.epa.gov/research-grants/national-priorities-evaluation-pollutants-biosolids